Saturday 23 January 2016

Winter Book Haul 2015/6


If I ever find a better way to spend a wet winter's evening than curled up with a good book and my dogs then I'm going to be surprised. There's nothing quite like lighting a fire, switching the fairy lights on and grabbing a good book. At the moment I'm sticking to History books for uni but I'm slowly building up a big old pile of books to read in the summer. These are the latest additions :)



Humans of New York, Humans of New York Stories, and Little Humans by Brandon Stanton
Okay, so I've sneaked a few books in that I can start to read before summer. While I work towards finishing my degree I haven't got a huge amount of time for fun reading, so I've opted for a few coffee-style books that I can dip in and out of, and still get that reading fix. I've been following the Humans of New Yorkfacebook page for a while, and really enjoy reading the short extracts that pop up on my timeline. I really liked the idea of having lots in one place that I could easily browse, and was especially keen to get my hands on Humans of New York: Stories that has longer captions parred with the photos. Owning both, also lets you see how the project has evolved, and they do look great together!

Little Humans focuses on children, its also a much smaller book, but it's undeniably cute, and would make a great addition if you already have the either of the others.



Furiously Happy: A Funny Thing about Curious Thingsby Jenny Lawson
When I saw a review for this book I simply had to read it. The book explores Jenny Lawson's lifelong battle with mental illness. Mental illness is slowly getting more public recognition, and this is great, and needs to happen. More books are being published but this one seems to be something a bit different in terms of writing style, and potentially oh so good.

Here's a little taster for you: "Some people might think that being 'furiously happy' is just an excuse to be stupid and irresponsible and invite a herd of kangaroos over to your house without telling your husband first because you suspect he would say no since he's never particularly liked kangaroos. And that would be ridiculous because no one would invite a herd of kangaroos into their house. Two is the limit. I speak from personal experience. My husband says that none is the new limit. I say he should have been clearer about that before I rented all those kangaroos." 

 The Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith 
This is the third in the Cormoran Strike detective series by Robert Galbraith (J.K Rowling). I've really enjoyed the previous two and can't wait to read this one too. The series is different from Harry Potter, its got none of the magic, but its still got Rowling's writing style, lots of mystery, and fantastic narratives.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs 
I don't know an awful lot about this book, but I have heard a lot of good things about it, and I'm keen to read it for myself. Its described as a fantasy set on a mysterious island and I'm a fan of fantasy and mystery so it could be great! The book contains lots of vintage photographs, and I'm really interested with the concept, and look forward to seeing how they work with the narrative. 

 Have you picked up any new books recently? Let me know what you're planning to read over the next few months! 



 You can see my other book hauls here.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Comment below and I'll do my best to reply :)

© Lucadonta . All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig